Sunday, February 15, 2009

Long Lost Friend

I just got back in contact with one of the best friends I've ever had. I haven't seen her in over 10 years. I've only talked to her maybe 6 times since I saw her. Since we met in Barstow, CA, our relationship lasted only 6 months before she moved across the country to New York.
But yes, she is my friend. And after all this time apart, it's amazing to find how similar we still are.

Here's the story.
I grew up in Barstow, California. When I was about 11, a woman moved into our congregation with a daughter a little older than I and a son, about 4 years old. My mother became good friends with this woman and I became great friends with her daughter. We grew closer for the six months she was there (we just figured out it was only six months, it had felt like alot longer). Then, it seemed, all the sudden one day she was gone. The mother moved back with her husband in New York, whom she had been separated from.

A few years later, my family moved to New York. A few years went by before I remembered her and realized she live in the same state as we now lived in. At that time, my mother had the mother's phone number and we commenced on another short exchange of letters and phone calls.
She got married and somehow we lost contact again. I left the life I knew and it too a good five years to realize what I had to in order to be happy.
About a month ago I started searching for her again. Her last name had changed and I had no way of finding her, it appeared. Then, someone reminded me that a brother in our congregation was from upstate. I asked the brother if he knew the last name and it turned out he knew her uncle and got me her information two weeks later.
I called her last Sunday and left a message. She called me that Wednesday, which was perfect timing and let me explain why.
My husband and I had been growing slowly apart for a reason unknown to me. Some unknown sense told me something was wrong. I had been reminded by the elders in the congregation that my husband should be my best friend. It was a thought I'd never really thought before. I was his wife, wasn't I? But I had been longing for a close friend that I had more in common with, it seemed he didn't get me. And just before I got in contact with my friend, Dave and I worked it all out. We're okay again, thanks to Jehovah.

Back to the subject, my friend and I are exactly the same as the 10+ years ago, except we're both married. Both into singing/guitar, art, the Truth... and we both care for eachother as we always did. Nothing has changed, not even our voices it seems.

And in what other world would I have been able to find her, what other organization in the world would 2 friends find eachother and still be on the same page, as it were. I'm so glad that she is still with Jehovah. I'm getting blessed right and left the more I do for Him. Happiness being the greatest blessing of all. And this week's Watchtower study? Magnificent. He certainly watches over his people.

And so begins another adventure. Awesome.

-T

1 comment:

  1. Oh that's super cool that you were able to make contact again. If it was a convention, you would have been those 2 sisters screaming "AAAAAA.....IT'S YOOOOOOOOU!" during lunch and hugging and crying.... :oP I'm glad you and D are doing better. We've gotta stay on top of these marriages like a fat bully in middle school or else they can run away from us!

    My best, Lynn
    *free shave cream this week! Stop by....

    ReplyDelete